Monday, December 3, 2012

A Wicked Experiment!

To Wick or Not to Wick?


(That's the experiment!)

Rebel's Sugar Pie - 1 wick, (through center hole of bottom and hanging slightly over edge)
1 modified Texas Style.
(Wick coiled in "C" on top 1/2" layer of Miracle-Gro Perlite,)

Katy Did - 1 wick, 1 not, 1 modified Texas Style. (Wicks added as above.)
 

Sassy Sister - 1 wick, 1 not.
(These all used my "earth mix")
 
Teen Bride - 1 wick, 1 not.
Potted up Nov 19 with peat mix.


(Wick added with darning needle up through center hole on bottom to hang a little over the side.)
Wick material 3/4" strips of pantyhose stretched thin.


This experiment in response to All About African Violets Podcast
Podcast 23 mentions using wicks VS not...
A listener comment posed a Wick Experiment Challenge for podcasts to come.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading all your posts about 'enquiring minds want to know' experiments...... I have resisted, and was quite proud of myself: when you have five babies of the same variety, you have to KEEP all five plants if you have them in an experiment! If you don't experiment, you can give away four of them!!!! :)
    BUT, I accept this challenge! An idea for an experiment has been lingering in the back of my mind... and I will set it up this week. (hand raised... I promise)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I included YOU and your experiments in my 'week one' talk at the House Plant Class! Someone commented that there seemed to be so many aspects of GROWING that I was interested in.... and I replied: Oh, you should see my 'friend in Maine' blog... she is the one with the scientific mind! SO, I will capture a screenshot of your blog with the wicking experiment at the top.... and take to the last night this week! Hopefully they will stop by and watch your progress!
    I also told them about the ALL ABOUT AFRICAN VIOLETS podcast.... I think they were very interested. They came to class not terribly inspired by African violets, but when I cut apart a multicrowned overgrown plant, they all gladly took home crowns and leaves to root!!! :)

    ReplyDelete